Mangling Reality and Targeting Scientists

Welcome to 2019, and one thing that remains constant is that scientists engaging the public will continue to be targeted for harassment and attempted reputation harm.  

The good news is that it is not working as well as it used to.  People are disgusted by their tactics, and only a handful of true-believers acknowledge their sites as credible. 

But for those on the fence I thought it might be nice to post how a website like SourceWatch uses a Wikipedia-mimic interface to spread false and/or misleading information about public scientists. 

Don't get me wrong, this is not crying victim.  I'm actually is screaming empowerment.  I spent the time to correct the record, something anyone can check.  Please look into their allegations and mine, and see who has it right. 

This is published by the Center for Media and Democracy.  Sadly, such pages actually threaten democracy by providing a forum for false information that makes evidence-based decisions in policy issues more challenging.  It also is a gross distortion of freedom of speech, using words maliciously with intent to harm. 

Click on the panels below to enlarge them and read my comments. 







This clearly shows how some information is just made up and other information is bent wildly out of reality to fit a sick agenda.  

At first blush I find it bothersome to have this kind of stuff on the web where anyone can find it and develop opinions about me and my work.  But the good news is that I'm just going to have to dial it up, do more good work, and bury this kind of trash under a pile of good science and public outreach. 

Popular posts from this blog

Food Babe Visits My University

Film Review: The Need to Grow

Coordinated Disinformation Campaigns on Twitter