Monday, April 9, 2012

TEDx = Woo-Tube

Sweet merciful crap.

There are two frightening realities about this TEDx talk.

1.  The fact that people applauded wildly for this trash does not say much for Charlotte.
2.  TEDx talks must be scientifically vetted. Between the talks on the dangers of GMOs and magical energy production here, TEDx tarnishes the sterling TED brand.



I seriously think this guy must have done an experiment- Can I talk about absolutely nothing for ten minutes, make up associations that implausible, make claims that are scientifically untenable, and do it on a TED-associated stage for ten minutes, then get applause?

Yep!  At least in Charlotte NC you can!

I really enjoyed dissecting the two GMO ones ad nausem.  This one I just get nasueum.

And I love the way his crazy symbol "fits DNA perfectly" (4:01)- sure, when you draw the DNA to fit the goofy symbol!

His ball in a bowl (8:10), how about ideomotor effect?

Suffered from a lack of attention?  It is in your hands because you refuse to turn it over?  What is stopping you?

The guy says absolutely nothing.  Good luck with that open source company.  I'm not holding my breath for infinite energy.

... and the crowd went wild.    The crowd was duped.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had this suspicion more than once but have been both too dense and not had the labia to call anyone on it.

Sean Nicholson said...

Well. Well well well. Ummmm. Well err. Hmmm. I'm lost for words. Well I'm not actually.

What a load of shite. And I really do mean the shittiest kind of shite.

What a moron. But hey what an audience full of morons.

Unbelievable. I mean really extraordinary. Listen, I'm English and I can absolutely assure you that this guy wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the end of his talk without receiving a few beer bottles through his frontal lobe!
Only in America hey.

Sean Nicholson said...

Come on everybody. Please say something!! I'm really up for it. A little bit of banter anyone? Do I smell or something?
Let's have a nice chat and a cup of tea.
Is no one going to take me to task on my racey

Norm Olsen said...

I can't believe that was serious, it made me think of Sokal's famous hoax. The presenter probably laughed himself silly off-stage at the end of it all.

Anonymous said...

Christ on a crutch that was nonsense. So, the audience just wanted "Pi" to be a factual movie or what?

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anyone stand on a stage and talk for so long, using so many words, and not say a damn thing. I kept waiting for him to get to any kind of point, but it never arrives. You are left waiting for a punch line that never arrives, only to see the clueless audience reach their emotional high with thunderous applause.

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time believing this is real!!!

Anonymous said...

April 1? Gotta be.

Gopindra said...

This quote from Billy Madison seems apt:
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Ethan said...

Holy crap, this talk sounded like the dust cover to a bargain bin fantasy novel. What in the exact hell is "Our body is the mortal coil"?

ZZMike said...

I really wanna buy some of that snake oil.

He missed connecting Death with "your number is up".

Tim said...

@Ethan:
It is an incorrect translation of a phrase in Shakespeare's Hamlet. What is has to do with the rest of the talk, I do not know.

Anonymous said...

insted giving your ted talk you bash the guy just like that!
you call your self a scientist and a sceptic? LOL