Wednesday, June 17, 2009

ZICAM Causes Loss of Smell?

Impossible, or at least highly unlikely. I cannot imagine a plausible mechanism by spraying water up the nose, which is basically what ZICAM's activity is. It is a homeopathic remedy, meaning that there is no active ingredient. To claim harm would be as bankrupt as claiming effect!

The HI-larious part of the story is that Matrixx, the company that manufactures the water in a squirt bottle says, "there is no known causal link between the use of Zicam Cold Remedy nasal gel and impairment of smell. No well-controlled scientific study has demonstrated a potential cause-and-effect relationship between the use of Zicam and diminished smell function. No court cases have revealed any reliable evidence of any causal relationship."

You can say exactly the same about its ability to cure disease! Just substitute "treat a cold" for "impairment of smell" and you've got it right!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clearing that up. I had been spraying it up my nose as a substitute for taking showers

Kevin M. Folta said...

which explains why the stinky hippies like the homeopathy...

Pat said...

While I have never used the gel, the mouth spray caused some really crazy effects on me. I lost all sense of taste while using it. I was so desperate that I tried putting salt and Tabasco sauce directly on my tounge...nothing. The effects were not permanent. About two days after I stopped, my taste senses came back. Still...very weird.